Friday, November 12, 2010

Evaluation-Process

I started with choosing my design, then I went to make a mock-up of this design.


Once I had chosen what I wanted to create and when the mock-up was finished I used a program called Solidworks to work out the dimensions of the different cabinet panels get an idea of what it would look like.

When this was completed, I was given a sheet of MDF board to measure and cut into the different panels I had planned for my speakers.



I needed holes to fit a tweeter, woofer, and port.

The Tweeter: 70mm, Woofer: 130mm, Port: 60mm.



I cut out all the pieces to my cabinet, and then I had to make sure that all my pieces fit together, I used a rasp and file to get them to an adequate size to be able to glue and screw them together using PVA glue.

This was done so that the cabinet was tight and secure with no gaps.



Before the cabinets were completely finished, , it came time to line the inside of our speakers with carpet underlay, this was done to lessen the effect of cancellation between frequencies inside the cabinet and increase audio performance.





We then put in braces and platforms in around this time.

The bracers are to hold the speaker together and to increase durability of speakers, and the platforms are for the crossovers to be attached to later on inside the speakers.





After all this was done we would then apply the two coats of primer, after each coat of primer we would give the cabinet a light sanding ready for the next coat, the same was done for the second coat.

During the time that we were waiting for the spraying booth to become vacant we started the manufacturing of our PCB board crossovers.

We used multiple programs by the names of Circuit Wizard, Macromedia Freehand, and 2D Design in the manufacturing of our circuit boards.

We created the circuit diagrams on circuit wizard, and because my speakers have two woofers instead of one, I needed to have a different diagram to the others; I had put my two woofers in series with the one tweeter still by itself. Once a PCB layout had been created using circuit wizard, we then copied this layout into the Freehand program.

We traced this layout using freehand to get a simple outline which we could then use in 2D Design.

Once we had our PCB design using the final piece of software we were given a PCB board to put into the CAM machine, we then setup the driver properties to cut out the board in the shape of our design we had.

We needed to test our speakers with a multi-meter to make sure that it had cut fully and wouldn’t short circuit when we were completed.

When the spraying booth became free we each sprayed our speakers either black, white, or clear.





By this time there wasn’t much left to do, after the spraying was done I needed to put the crossover into the cabinet, and using cable-ties, I tied it to the platform I had put in earlier.

Then using a soldering iron and solder, I soldered my terminals, woofers, and tweeters onto my crossover wires and then screwed down my speakers to my cabinet.

Once this was done, all that was left was to tune my ports and to test them.



I tested my speakers and they work great.

No comments:

Post a Comment